A tooth extraction is a routine dental procedure where a tooth is entirely removed from its socket. This procedure is often necessary when a tooth is too damaged to be repaired, has an infection that cannot be treated (such as aggressive periodontal disease) or when a tooth is causing severe overcrowding. Removing it may be in the best interest of your entire smile. It’s essential to take proper care of your mouth after a tooth extraction to prevent complications. Our Encinitas dentist wants you to know what to look for after your oral surgery, so that you know when to contact us for assistance.
There are several signs that indicate you may need a tooth extraction. If you experience any of the following symptoms, it’s essential to see our dentist in Encinitas immediately:
1. Pain: If you experience severe pain when you bite down or chew, it may be a sign that you have a damaged tooth that needs to be extracted. Dental infections don’t go away on their own, so try not to mask the symptoms with over the counter medication.
2. Infection: If you have an infection in your tooth, you may experience swelling, pain, or fever. Your dentist may recommend a tooth extraction if the infection is too severe or the tooth is non-restorable.
3. Crowding: If your mouth is overcrowded, your orthodontist or a dentist may recommend a tooth extraction to make space for your other teeth. That way the braces or clear aligners can have room to move your other teeth into proper alignment.
4.Impacted Teeth: When a tooth is impacted, it means it’s stuck below the gum line and can’t erupt properly. Your dentist may recommend a tooth extraction if it’s causing pain or other issues, such as damage to the adjacent teeth.
After a tooth extraction in Encinitas, it’s essential to take proper oral care of your mouth to prevent complications. Dr. Skeens will provide you with detailed home care instructions to follow and help limit your risk of complications.
Here are some tips to help you know when to see a dentist after extractions:
1. Bleeding: It’s normal to experience some bleeding after a tooth extraction, but if it doesn’t stop after a few hours, you should contact your dentist immediately.
2. Swelling: Some minor swelling is common after a tooth extraction, but if it’s severe or doesn’t go away after a few days or gets even worse, you should see your dentist. Severe facial swelling is considered a medical emergency.
3. Pain: It’s normal to experience some irritation or minor discomfort after a tooth extraction, but if it’s severe or doesn’t go away with over-the-counter pain medication, you should see your dentist. Most people see an increase in symptoms around day three, with irritation improving after that.
4. Infection: If you notice any signs of infection, such as fever, swelling, or discharge from the extraction site, contact our dentist in Encinitas.
If you’re in Encinitas and need a tooth extraction, Dr. Skeens can help. Or in some cases, we may be able to restore the tooth altogether. Encinitas Family Dentistry offers a wide range of dental services, so we’ll discuss what options are available. Dr. Skeens will take steps to ensure that the procedure is as comfortable as possible. We’ll also provide you with detailed instructions on how to care for your mouth after the procedure to prevent complications.
If you’re not in Encinitas, you can still find a dental clinic near you that offers tooth extraction services. Here are some tips to help you find a reputable dental clinic near you:
1. Ask for Recommendations: Ask friends, family, or coworkers for personal referrals. They may have had a tooth extraction in the past and can recommend a good dentist near you.
2. Check Online Reviews: Look for dental clinics near you and read online reviews to see what other patients have to say about their experiences.
3. Check Credentials: Make sure the dental clinic you choose has licensed dentists and is a member of the American Dental Association.
Schedule Your Appointment
If you’re experiencing any signs that indicate you need a tooth extraction, contact Encinitas Family Dentistry today.
Welcome to the Encinitas dental office of Gregory Skeens, JR., DDS. We are your home for caring dental treatment that supports superior oral health and helps you achieve the beautiful smile you’ve always wanted. Our modern facility is equipped with cutting-edge technology and our team is here to make your visit enjoyable and relaxing.
We take a truly individualized approach to dentistry, which is why our practice is so popular. After every treatment, Encinitas dentist Dr. Skeens personally makes follow- up phone calls to patients to ensure that they are feeling well. Your comfort and well-being are of ultimate importance.